Wednesday 11 May 2016

The Writer in Me Just Woke Up!


I am not a writer.

I don’t know how many times I've repeated these words to myself, although I am writing dozens of emails and memos every day at work. True, it is related to my profession (I am a civil engineer), but still, I am mainly writing memos of several pages.

Well, then, why am I afraid to write a blog post?

The reason, however, is the different type of audience. I write emails and memos to people I know, or at least know their name. This new audience is a mystery to me and I don’t know what to expect.

Still, the decision fell!

Now I need to find a topic. Once again I am facing a dilemma. I could write about the things that interest me, but I don’t know will it be interesting to readers. I like maths, use of new technology in construction, green tech, traditional building methods, but also other things related to nature and cultural heritage.

So many ideas go through my mind. I’ve come to the conclusion that all these topics have already been written. How to write about familiar topics in a new way? I remember the title of a documentary I recently watched: The Unknown Known. Should I write something like that? On the other way, there is always some sort of new “lands” to explore and I see myself as an explorer.

For now, I don’t want to use any writing tips. In fact, I don’t like headlines with number of tips for “how to do something better”. There are so many posts of such content that, frankly, annoy me.

And then, after some hesitation, I decided.

My first ever blog post will be exactly about what I was thinking before I started writing, the doubt whether to write for the public.

And here it is; the ice has broken!

Regardless of any future comments, I’m relieved that I’ve managed to write a few meaningful sentences (at least I think they are). Then it occurred to me that maybe nobody will read my post, but I think disappointment is also a part of the writing process. After all, there is a first time for everything. I must wait to see if my first post is going well.

I hope next time I will write about something concrete and linked to my profession. Many new ideas are already emerging.

The writer in me just woke up!



This post was previously published on WordPress  https://ladaprkic.wordpress.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment